January 26, 2015

Trip Report: A British extravaganza - Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse and Upper Class LHR - JFK


Welcome to 2015 on my travel blog!


This is my first post in my Trip Report series. I intend to be informative and give an impartial and honest review. All my travel is self-funded, I receive no compensation by any airline or hotel chain. As stated before in this blog, using miles and points is a great way to travel more comfortably for little actual cash but always in style.


Cathay Pacific Lounge at Paris CDG - thanks to my BA status



-----------------------------------


Although I fly transatlantic pretty much every two months, I never gave the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class a try. I must say I am attached to Oneworld and the British Airways Avios earning and burning scheme.


  • Especially redeeming for flights of less than 650 miles where I can use 4,500 Avios compared to 10K to 12K AA miles, Delta SkyMiles or even United MileagePlus miles. 
  • Intra-Asia flights where you can experience premium cabins for less Avios. For instance, between Hong-Kong and Bangkok you can use 22.5K for First and 15K for Business and about $40 in taxes. If you swing by Hong Kong, try the Cathay Pacific "the Wing" lounge and their private cabanas that include a bathtub/shower and a full-size resting bed.
The Wing First Class Lounge in Hong Kong (HKG) - Private Cabana
  • However, my most common redemption is to cross the pond using 20K Avios one-way between New York and Europe and low taxes through Air Berlin, as I wrote here before. I never use Avios on British Airways as taxes are typically the price of a cash ticket.
  • Remember to keep your eyes open for special Avios promotions like last winter where I booked a return transatlantic flight for 40K Avios on Iberia.
Madrid-Barajas (MAD) Business Class Check-in




-----------------------------------

A British extravaganza

Flight: VS25 LHR - JFK
Plane: Airbus A340-600
Class: Upper Class
Seat: 11A

Let me start by saying that I had a great Transatlantic experience flying the Virgin Atlantic Upper Class from London to New York. It was actually refreshing to finally try their product and compare it to the mainstream American, British Airways or Delta, even though the seat configuration is not the best in the sky for personal space per passenger.

My flight departed London Heathrow LHR Terminal 3, where all the Virgin Atlantic and Delta US-bound flights leave from. Virgin Atlantic Upper Class and Delta Business Elite customers can use the fast-track check-in and security in the Upper Class Wing. I entered the Upper Class Wing after using the main terminal entrance coming from public transportation and followed the signs.




There is actually another way to enter the Upper Class Wing if you are getting a cab as described in the welcome email I received a few days ahead of my visit:
"Arriving by car or taxi 
If you’re being driven to Terminal 3, you have the opportunity to use our Upper Class Wing before heading through our Private Security Channel. Then in no time at all, you’ll be relaxing with a cocktail in our Clubhouse. 
Here’s how it works:
  1. Ask your driver to take the last left before the usual Terminal 3 drop off location. It’s signposted Virgin Upper ClassWing.
  1. Ask your driver to press the intercom at the security barrier and give your name and flight number. A member of our team will let your car in.
  1. At the top of the Upper Class Wing, please park in one of the parking bays, where a member of our team will be there to meet you.
Arriving another way
If you’re not arriving at Terminal 3 by car or taxi, you can still check in at our Upper Class desks within the main terminal in Zone A. Our dedicated lift will then take you straight through to our Private Security Channel, so you can be enjoying a cocktail in our Clubhouse in no time at all too."
Upper Class Wing - Coming from the private taxi entrance - Nice Dreamliner model in Virgin livery


The fast-track security was very smooth compared to the usual security line at LHR. The real experience started with the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse. The furniture is stylish and modern, quite a stretch from the average US-carrier lounge. The overall impression from the lounge is very sleek and classy looking, coming from a Frenchman that means a lot I guess.


Main Lounge Sitting Area
Barber in the Clubhouse


What impressed me the most was the service once I sat down. I decided to sit down on a couch and wasn't expecting any service (there is also a fully serviced dining area). However, right after I set up my laptop, a lounge waitress came to take my order from the menu. I ended up having tapas.


Fish & Chips, Duck and Noodles.
Rum baba was great, I liked the branded plate as well, nice touch. 


The boarding was announced fairly shortly after I finished  my snack. I was of the first passengers to board and was guided to my Upper Class seat onboard the A340-600. The cabin looks fairly spacious and the purple lighting is interesting.
Upper Class Cabin with mood lighting upon boarding

Virgin Atlantic Upper Class has a pretty unique configuration. I really like the privacy of the seats, even if the personal space is a bit restricted. All seats have access to the aisle and the seat itself is very comfortable.
My seat 11A

After the pre-departure drink and hot towel ritual, dinner was served. Nothing mind-blowing but good quality British food. The menu actually had a Christmas option and I ate the Turkey. I got some work done and slept for most of the flight.


The best Salt & Pepper shakers in the sky!

Upon arrival, I was the first in line at security and got in a cab in less than 10 minutes after deplaning. Virgin Atlantic Upper Class has a rock-solid hard product and good service. I would definitely fly them again. I was mostly impressed by the stylish and sharp Clubhouse in London.


Virgin Atlantic's unique take on the industry has set its unique footprint in the skies by combining style with bold innovation and strategic moves. I am thinking in particular of their lounges offerings and their recent partnership with Delta. Elites from both airlines enjoy benefits like dedicated check-in, fast-track and lounge access. Transatlantic competition is great for consumers and Virgin Atlantic has been a key actor in shaking the market in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment