September 17, 2014

How I flew Business Class Transatlantic for 40,000 Avios Return

A little while back Iberia was offering a 50% off award redemption promotion. That is the email I received below. The interesting thing is that British Airways Avios can be transferred to Iberia Avios as both frequent flyer program use the same currency, Avios. As a note, IAG (International Airlines group) owns British Airways and Iberia following the merger in January 2011.


I was very interested by this promotion since my family was skiing in the Alps back in March 2013. I ended up booking two business class tickets JFK - MAD using 2 x 20,000 Avios (twice less than the regualr rate of 2 x 40,000 thanks to the Iberia promotion) and paying about $200 in taxes. That deal was a steal. 



I was glad I had the perfect opportunity to go back to Europe to ski with my family in the Alps. Even if my entry point was Madrid I had no trouble finding cheap positioning flights in Europe for $80 return between Lyon/Geneva and Madrid.  So again, keep in mind that you have to be flexible when traveling, the best way is sometimes not the most direct way!

No comments:

Post a Comment