January 28, 2015

Trip Report: A New York Staycation - Dream Midtown Hotel


I really like New York and the East Village where I live. But what I like even more is exploring the city. I recently had the opportunity to stay in Midtown West, an area where I rarely go, apart from business or one-off restaurants/bars. My fiance and I spent one night at the Dream Midtown as we had dinner plans and some shopping to do in the area.



We checked-in late afternoon and David at the reception desk was professional and efficient. I had seen online that the property had done some $20 million in renovation work and was excited to see the result. The reception area looks great and the floor-to-ceiling fish tank definitely attracts the eye. It actually is on both the ground floor and the lower level. I was told by the concierge that although the coral is fake, it contains 30 species of fish.





Our one-bedroom suite was located on the 6th floor out of the 13 in this historic Beaux-Arts building. It was a great corner room with a large living room and a bedroom.




The furniture and paintings are pretty stylish and definitely give a boutique hotel feel to the Dream Midtown. The living room has an ideal setting to relax or gather with friends. 

Suite Living Room


The bedroom is spacious and features a desk and minibar on top of the TV and bathroom.
Suite Bedroom with desk

As the hotel is in the final stage of its renovation, scaffolding is still present outside the building but I wasn't disturbed at all during my stay.

View on Broadway from the living room

The suite contains two bathrooms, each with showers and toilet. The only improvement that could be made is to extend the glass of the shower stall, as water tends to leak on the floor outside the shower.



The turndown service was excellent and very detailed-oriented. On top of the usual removal of the bed linen and decoration pillow, something else blew my mind. When I first entered the room, I realized that the bulb in the floor lamp was missing. 

Missing bulb in living room lamp
No big deal obviously, but when we came back from dinner, the bulb had been replaced. That clearly shows the attention to detail of the staff and I was very impressed by it. I usually stay 70+ nights per year in mostly chain hotels and these are the little things that improve your guest experience, especially for boutique hotels.

Bulb replaced after turndown service


Overall, we had a great stay at the Dream Midtown and I can recommend this hotel for romantic couples, families or business travelers as it is conveniently located in Midtown West and fairly close to Carnegie Hall and the Theater District. I personally can't wait for the rooftop lounge to be open as I have never been.



No comments:

Post a Comment