September 25, 2015

Flying Friday with Blade: skipping the gridlock and my 6 minute commute!

Contrary to most other New Yorkers, I was excited to wake up early this morning for an epic #PopeinNYC Friday!

Blade, the first digital on-demand aviation company aka the Uber of helicopters, is offering today Friday September, 25th crosstown scheduled service between the West Side Heliport (30th Street, West Side Highway) and the East Side Heliport (East 34th Street, FDR Drive) during the rush hour (and vice-versa). Price is $95. To find out more download the Blade App on your phone and look for Bounce-X.

In this post, I am going to share with you my personal experience. The views expressed here are my own and I have not been sponsored or comped to write this article.


Booking through the App

Very intuitive and easy to book, immediate confirmation is provided.


Ground Experience in the East Blade Lounge

I arrived at the Blade Lounge at the East Side Heliport ahead of my 8:00am flight to the West side Heliport. The friendly staff kindly offered me a cold brew to start my day. Notice the really cool Blade-branded cups. Clearly more tailored to wine, but iced coffee was perfect at this early hour.

The lounge is comfortable and perfectly sized to welcome the 6 passengers of my flight. 

The decor is a combination of aviation-retro and chic avant-garde style, which fits well with the Blade brand image. The French expat in me probably took over the last sentence, but truth is, that lounge is sleek for an #AVGeek like me!

Sharp style and cozy lounge on the East side.

The bar area is neat and the staff is amazing in catering to your drinking needs. At such an early morning hour, a Kind bar and a coffee definitely did the trick for me.


Boarding process

As a boarding pass, no paper waste or passbook hassle, just a wrist band that shows your're ready to fly. Seat number is marked on the side of it and it is Priority boarding for everyone.


No rushing or pushing to get to the gate, the lounge has an paralleled view on my ride of the day. TSA screening, exceptional measure due to the Pope's visit, is done in no time. The bird is an Eurocopter AS350 Écureuil, registration number N646PT. The name meaning Squirrel in French is a perfect way to describe the Blade way of beating traffic, #SaveMeBlade.


The Flight

Pilot's safety briefing, check. Seat belt fasten, check. Now it is time to fly! No taxiing needed, we're cleared for take-off.

Heading south with a clear view on East Village, Alphabet city and the Williamsburg bridge. All instruments looking good.



Majestic Freedom tower in sight and Fi-Di slowly waking up.

Governors Island to our left.

Heading back north around Manhattan with Chelsea and the Village to our right. Peaceful ride, away from traffic and the crowd.

Flying by Jersey City in a clear sky.

The Empire state and a helicopter window as picture frame, no your everyday commute, that's for sure!


6 minutes after take-off and we're on the West side of Manhattan. Beating the crowd and ready for my morning meetings, here I am with my Blade flying squirrel!


Conclusion

Blade is the best way to get to your destination in style. From the hard product with the cozy lounge and the well-maintained aircraft, to the soft product with the friendly ground staff, professional pilot and the seamless booking process, the experience is nothing else but awesome. I can only recommend Blade for your sky travels in NYC. 

Fellow passenger and Daily News journalist Chelsia Marcius reported on the news here, rightfully saying "The takeaway? If you need a good excuse to fly, blame the Pope and book your ticket". Exactly my thinking Chelsia!

Feel free to use my referral code VincentF7 to get $100 off towards your first ride after downloading the Blade App. I will get $50 in return once you have flown. Share the word and fly safe and sharp with Blade!


Follow me on Twitter @FlyingVinny to keep up to date with my latest travel.




No comments:

Post a Comment